The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Tuesday 27 February 2007

Cumbria Way, Here We Come!

Yeah! After a bit of a faff with Husband trying to arrange some leave from work, train tickets are now booked for the end of March. We’re off to walk the Cumbria Way.

I’m hoping the train tickets were a good idea. We don’t have a good track record when it comes to catching trains. On a previous incident that also involved the Cumbria Way we managed to confuse the Aberdeen train with the Ulverston train at Lancaster Station and found ourselves heading at high speed in the wrong direction in the gathering dark. Then there was the planned WHW trip last September, for which I duly booked the train tickets months in advance, only to then have family health conspire against us causing the tickets to go unused.

For this one, I considered the various travel options and once again plumped for the train. As I’ve bought non-refundable tickets, it’s fingers crossed that nothing occurs between now and then to stop us going.

Then it’s fingers crossed that we don’t have a joint momentary lapse of concentration that sees us heading north through Scotland.

Having walked most of the route before in various bits, we’re pretty sorted for knowing where we’re going (I’ve already got the relevant bits of the maps scanned, so just need to print them out again). All I need to think about over the next couple of weeks is what we’d like to eat – then I need to get cooking and dehydrating it. I’d like to think that I’ll be organised on the cooking/dehydrating front, but odds-on it will all be a last minute rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment