The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 15 July 2007

Tickle Your Arse With A Feather?

… I said it's particularly nasty weather.

My work/walk balance is completely out of balance. Too much of my time is spent working when I should be walking. So, when I have a spare day (or even half day, if I’m desperate), I like to pop out for a bit of a yomp – quite often over local fields.

This weekend, having a rare day with nothing specific planned, I had two options with what to do with it: I could either go for a walk with Husband, or I could finally go and fit the new sink in Mother’s bathroom. The latter has been outstanding for a despicable length of time (I fitted the new toilet back in January and intended to do the sink not long after).

So, I spent the afternoon a cursing sink design that doesn’t allow a tap spanner (or indeed any spanner) of any design comfortably into the space around the tap nuts – but for once I found myself pleased to be indoors.

Why? Because on this mid-July day, the weather in Mother’s locale was very, very wet. Really – I’m not exaggerating here. It rained a lot.

Now, I wouldn’t call myself a fair weather walker. In fact, I’m sure that if there should ever be a freak drought in the Lake District then all they need to do is call for us – it’s almost guaranteed to start raining the moment that we leave the M6. Rain is definitely a recurring theme on our outings (‘there’s no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing’ I always remind myself).

But, on a day when I could usefully spend time indoors, and thus free up another day (potentially with better weather, or so I will try to kid myself), I felt like I had allocated my time wisely today. The sink is fitted. Next time I have a free day, I will be out and about*.

(*Ma: don’t worry, I’ve not forgotten the new radiator – it is next on my list!)

No comments:

Post a Comment