The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday 25 August 2007

PHD Minimus Jacket

As a conclusion to our kit expenditure, before unemployment and the resultant lack of income hits us shortly, the PHD Minimus Jacket was ordered at the very start of the PHD sale last Saturday at the bargain price at £89 with the colour choices of olive or olive. I went for the olive.

Yesterday the jacket arrived (thanks to Postie for signing for it himself and leaving it in the shed; not strictly the correct thing for him to do, but very much appreciated). As expected, the size small is somewhat on the large side for a wee slip of a girl. The sleeves in particular will happily cover my hands and then some. The body would probably house me in five big jumpers after a big dinner. In spite of these issues, I like it a lot.

Admittedly, one of the warmer days of this summer was probably not the best test for it, but early indications are that it will be very snugly and warm.

It also weighs nothing. Just under 310g with its stuff sack according to my balance scales (which according to the local Post Office under-weigh, but according to my usual Post Office over-weigh – surely Post Office scales should be calibrated, if for no other reason than to establish the accuracy of my scales?).

I had planned to make a couple of mods to the jacket to bring the weight down (and to make it fit a bit better), but as it seemingly weighs nothing, I think that I’ll save the effort and associated cursing at sewing machine and leave it just as it is.

With my colour co-ordination, the colour wasn’t hugely important, but I'm pleased to say that ‘olive’ has turned out to be perfectly acceptable (it’ll set off my purple gloves and red buff a treat…).

No comments:

Post a Comment