The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Thursday 23 August 2007

The Tent: She Is On Order!

Last night Husband was somewhat bemused as I started pitching the inner of our TN Voyager in the living room. He was more bemused when I crawled inside with a tape measure. It was all part of the Warmlite/Voyager comparison exercise. The exercise turned out positively in favour of the Warmlite.

Having crawled back out of the tent, I had a very useful telephone conversation with a nice lady at Stephenson’s.

Today, I have placed our order for our Warmlite 2R.

My previous indecision as to which extras we need/want was solved by both Alan Sloman and Husband independently stating the same spec.

So, the order is for a 2R with large door and wind stabilisers. Colours chosen are the very unadventurous green for the middle section and light green for the ends. Or, as Warmlite would term this tent, it will be a 2RW-LD-G-LG.

Payment was looking a bit scary from reading their website (no credit cards; cheques must be drawn on a US bank; wire transfers from overseas), however, in talking to them it transpired that they can accept Paypal payments for a fee of 4%. Not only is Paypal easier (no need for Swift Codes, ABA Numbers and other such confounding things), but 4% is a whole lot cheaper than a wire transfer.

Lead time is 6-8 weeks (or so they tell me). My very, very nice boss (who won’t be my boss by the time the tent is despatched) has kindly agreed to take delivery of the tent in the US and hand-carry it to the UK for me. I’m hoping that that will cut down on the likelihood of it going astray within the US Postal Service in addition to saving a bit more money.

With a bit of luck (and if Mother allows us to try it this side of Christmas, as technically this is our Christmas present from her) then we’ll be testing it out in December.

1 comment: