The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Monday 7 January 2008

Wind and Rain?

I awoke this morning to the sound of rain hitting the windows and wind whistling through the trees. My thoughts turned to my new Paramo Cascada Trews and my new anemometer, both of which are begging for a test run in suitable conditions.

Out of bed I sprang to go for a quick yomp around the local footpaths.

As is so often the case, I excelled in the faffing department, so it was an hour later by the time I came to the leave the house – by which time the sky was clear blue and the sun was shining – but I suppose that I shouldn’t really complain about having to walk in sunshine should I? (but I am going to complain, because if I’d known that I wasn’t going to get wet I would have worn my Rab VR trousers which were already covered in mud; now I have two sets of mud-adorned legwear to wash!)

However, there was still a bit of a breeze blowing for anemometer testing purposes (and, of course, even without new things to test, it’s always nice to stretch the legs and fill the lungs).

So, the (entirely underwhelming) stats were:

Distance: Just 4.25 miles
Ascent: Under 300 feet (did I ever mention that it’s pretty flat around here?)
Wind speed: around 12-15mph, maximum speed recorded: 19.6mph.

1 comment: