The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Friday 15 February 2008

Found It!

Yep, I finally found the head torch that I thought that I had lost on the Pumlumon hills on the first weekend of December.

I’ve harked on and on about having lost it and yet had managed to procrastinate at great length about replacing it, for despite having searched seemingly everywhere in the house and car, I still harboured secret hopes that it would turn up.

On Tuesday night I packed my pack for our first backpacking trip of the year.

I had, of course, checked my pack at least six times in the Big Hunt for the Headtorch.

Thinking through many times the circumstances when I had last had it (about five minutes away from our pitch in the Pumlumon area, I had realised that I was still wearing it; I took it off and stowed it) I concluded that the only pocket available to me at that time (what with my backpack being on my back) was the pouch pocket of my Velez.

What I had overlooked was the hip-belt pockets on my Osprey Aura.

So, as I went to put the camera in the hip-belt pocket just before we set off on Wednesday morning, there I found the long lost head torch.

My second thought (after running through the house shouting ‘I’ve found it!’) was ‘That’s £30 saved that I could put towards that PHD Minim sleeping bag’! Oh dear. I am a hopeless case.

No comments:

Post a Comment