The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Friday 8 February 2008

LEJOG Preparation: Review of the Week

Training
Two training walks this week.

Last Saturday was 11.5 miles over our usual range of local field paths, and along the canal. The only interesting features were the presence of a vague dusting of snow on the ground and the number of people that we saw. I attribute the latter to the former. We’ve walked variations on this route a lot over the last couple of years and have never before met another person on those fields; on Saturday we met four different sets of people. It was either freak coincidence, or everyone saw the snow and thought ‘how pretty; best go for a walk’.

The second was a 9.5 miler on Wednesday morning. Weather was great. Ground was very muddy indeed. It set my mind a-whirring once again on the subject of footwear … but that’s a different subject.

Food
For reasons related partially to budget and partially to having something that I know that I can and will eat, I came up with the (madcap?) plan of dehydrating most of the evening meals that we will consume on our LEJOG. Other meals (or at least the makings for those other meals) will be bought en-route.

I’ve finally (and once again rather belatedly) decided that it’s time to get moving on cooking and dehydrating. I’m reckoning on preparing around 100-120 meals (‘Is the girl mad?’ I hear you cry). With 66 days to go until we set off for Cornwall, the dehydrator’s going to be working overtime.

So, this week’s food tally is: 9x meat chilli; 3x veggie chilli; 3x veggie pasta sauce; 2x turkey green curry. 17 down. 103 to go…

Kit
I still have no headtorch. I still have no waterproof trousers (although that’s just a matter of finding out what size I need). More alarmingly, I still have no boots. However, we do now have a spare battery for the camera, plus and two spare memory cards on their way to us. Oh, and one of the underwear issues has been sorted (subject to test drive-comfort test). So that’s a few things knocked off the ‘to buy’ list.

No comments:

Post a Comment