The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday 29 March 2008

LEJOG Maps

I’m sitting on the living room floor surrounded by maps. I thought that it was about time I checked all of the maps were in order and printed out a few 1:25000 sections that will help us along.

I’d only got as far as Day 4 when I came across a bit of route that just didn’t seem to make sense.

It was almost a year ago that I planned this section so I have no recollection as to what I was thinking at the time. Thinking that I wouldn’t have just spuriously thrown in such a nonsensical bit of route without good reason I started searching through Andrew McCloy’s book to see if I’d got the notion from there. But no; this part of the route doesn’t coincide with McCloy’s route.

Out came the relevant section of 1:25,000 map (a single A4 page scanned from a paper map that I borrowed), which served to confirm that the route that I’d chosen (presumably late at night and after a good few glasses of wine) involved trespassing at length across farmland without about a dozen field boundaries of unknown type to negotiate.

I have now corrected the route to one that doesn’t involve trampling crop fields or leaping over electric fences (or if it does turn out to include those features, at least we’ll be doing so legally).

I’m hoping that it was a one off aberration. It would throw me into a bit of disarray to have to do any substantial amounts of replanning at this stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment