The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Wednesday 19 March 2008

Mapyx QUO

Wanting a few sections of 1:25k maps for certain parts of our LEJOG, it was the pricing issue that drew me to Mapyx QUO software. A 10x10 tile at £1.95 looks like pretty good value – particularly when the section I want falls within a single tile.

I’ve also heard pretty positive things about the software. Compare that to Anquet, on which I’ve plotted our entire LEJOG route, which has presented me with a number of idiosyncrasies and which charges a ridiculously high price for 1:25 mapping.

So, yesterday I downloaded QUO Go and started trying to work out which tiles I needed to buy.

Today I finished that exercise (it’s not that it took a long time, it’s just that I took a 23 hour break in the middle) and placed and paid for my order.

Up came the expected screen that told me to click a button to download the files.

Then came an error screen and no matter how many times I clicked that link, I still kept getting the error.

A short, polite email was despatched to Mapyx (no phone number on their website as far as I can see) to which I expected a swift response, even if that was a “sorry about that, we’re looking into it”. I would like to have thought that a customer having made payment and unable to claim their goods would be an issue meriting prompt attention.

Alas no. Even a check of the Spam filter (remembering Darren’s experience last year) didn’t yield anything.

So, as it stands, Mapyx has my money and I am still lacking my maps. I’m not too happy about that.

2 comments:

  1. Gayle,
    email me tomorrow if you have no reponse I have some contact email addresses you can send to, that will get a reply.

    Word of advice if you do need these email addresses, mention that you have blogged all this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having looked at all of Mapyx Quo's competion i decided to try out the free version. I have downloaded this on 2 occasions and installed both times on my laptop and i am simply unable to get the software to run at all. I am now looking at purchasing from a tried and tested source rather than Mapyx as i don't think that it's all what it's cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete