The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Wednesday 16 April 2008

Day 2 - Marazion to Predannack

16 April
Distance: 18 miles (allegedly)
Number of killer dogs: 0

Today was a day of two parts.
The morning section to Porthleven:
In an uncharacteristic display of organisation we were up, showered, breakfasted and away walking by 7.30, soon finding ourselves on the coastal path where we were to stay for most of the day.

Whereas yesterday our experience of the coast path had been towns and concrete, today it was 'coastal path proper'. And mighty fine it was too under the clear blue skies. The wind had got up, mind and it was an easterly, which isn't the best news when your day is heading generally east.

Drinking in the views and oohing and aahing often, we passed a few coves and then found ourselves at Praa Sands, rather later than expected as it had felt like we'd been keeping a reasonable pace going.

Having met hardly anyone all day we arrived in Porthleven at about lunchtime (that being 12.45 today) and after stocking up at a conveniently placed supermarket we sat on the harbour for half an hour lapping up the sustenance.

The afternoon:
The problem with the afternoon was that I was tired by the time we reached Porthleven.

Months ago I had commented that I was concerned about the length of three of our first four days, and it turned out that I was right to be concerned about today.

Yesterday's 17 miles had been easy. There was no testing terrain. Today, however, we were on the coast proper with all of its many undulations. Plus there are so many wiggles in the path that I'm sure that the route is actually a lot longer than the map measurer will tell you. The undulations and wiggles should not be underestimated!

With my body protesting I dragged myself back up after lunch, not relishing the thought of another 7 or 8 miles.

However, despite the mind screaming at me to stop, I was not miserable. For how could one be so when there are such views to be had and such geology to be seen?

Finally my legs won over my mind and convinced it that it could go the distance. Alas that was at the point where we misplaced the coast path, with just a mile or so to our destination (how, I ask you? It seems so simple: keep the sea on your right). The result was an extra kilometre or so walked and a detour along tarmac. It was nearly enough to make me whinge a bit.

We made it, however, and at our campsite found the warden to be a chap who is doing the TGO challenge for the first time next month and an advocate of wild camping. That will have to be a tale for another day though as I seem to have lost the light for today, which must mean that it's time to rest up for tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on making it you two.

    ps, did the owner sign the ePetition?
    ;-)

    Nothing much going on here. I stuck a candle in my ear and set fire to it as it was the Blogfather's birthday. Just the usual nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was indeed Akto; I'm touched!

    I know that stretch of coastal path well - no simple stroll that's true!

    ReplyDelete