The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Wednesday 18 June 2008

Weeks 8 & 9 Random Thoughts

18 June
Distance so far: about 930 miles

Here we are in week 10 and I've not given my random thoughts from weeks 8 or 9 yet. Between sleeping, eating, walking, daily blogging and keeping a journal there are just not enough hours in the day.

Here are a few brief thoughts whilst I wait for my tea to rehydrate:

Pennine Way: my verdict was that I liked it a lot. Quite a few people who we met on the way didn't seem to be enjoying it, but it was definitely my cup of tea. I also liked the fact that there were waymarks but not so many as to make the map and a bit of thought redundant.

Boots: It wasn't looking promising for my boots a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that the suede at the toe crease had cracked. This I blame entirely on my abuse of them, having been none too diligent in cleaning them. In the manner of shutting the stable door, I've now got some Nikwax and have been treating them. My fingers are crossed that they make it the distance - I can't be doing with getting hold of or breaking in a new pair at this stage! The fact that the right boot has also sprung a leak is an added annoyance.

Mick's boots: That Mick's right boot is leaking is even more annoying as they are a few hundred miles newer than mine. That part of the sole is not well adhered to the upper is also not pleasing. I think Mick would quietly weep if he had to start over with a new pair of boots.

Weight: We were in a B&B last week which had a set of bathroom scales. They told us that Mick has now lost over a stone - not a big surprise as his trews are hanging off him. I have lost a few pounds but nothing drastic. I have however lost inches. My hip belt is perilously near the end of the stops and my trousers are falling down!

Pocketmail (that's the little device from which these blog posts are sent): A truly fantastic device and perfect for this trip. I was unsure about battery life when we set out but it turned out that the first set of Duracell AAs lasted seven weeks. Not bad considering the amount of daily use it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment