The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Tuesday 10 February 2009

Mud And An Igloo

For seven days snow has covered our lawn. This morning I woke up to find that it had rained for most of the night and that a mass thaw had set in.

What a thaw indicated to me was that the fields were going to be muddier than muddy (and they were very muddy indeed on my last outing), but I have neglected to exercise my legs much over the last couple of weeks, so I selected a minimum-mud route, and off I set.

The mud was horrendous in places, and standing water was prevalent, but I didn’t loose a boot (I did find a shoe stuck in one quagmire, which looked suspiciously like its occupant had inadvertently stepped out of it, but surely you would notice the loss of such an item?).

It was a lovely day for it too. Sunglasses would definitely have been a bonus as it seemed that, even though I walked a circular route, the sun was in my eyes about 90% of the time.

The stats for the day were 10 miles walked with a whole 400 feet of ascent – a meagre amount of ascent, but made more difficult by the slip-slidey nature of it. Oh, and I passed an igloo (twice, but the sun had made it a collapsed igloo by the time I returned).

No comments:

Post a Comment