The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday 18 April 2009

A New Arrival

There was a knock on the door yesterday afternoon. As Mick went off to answer it, it was to my chant of “Is it my sleeping bag? Is it my sleeping bag? Is it my sleeping bag? Is it my sleeping bag?”

It was.

A few seconds later whatever I was in the middle of doing at the time had been abandoned, the packaging was ripped open and out came the bag to fluff up to its full potential – which turns out to be very fluffed-up indeed.

P4180030a

I challenge anyone with a new sleeping bag not immediately to crawl into it and my first try-out on the living room floor proved that, like my Minim 300 it fits me perfectly.

The weigh-in showed it to be slightly heavier than advertised, but still 550g lighter than the bag that it’s replacing.

Is it wrong to now hope for a freak late cold-spell to give me the chance to use it, rather than just now packing it away until next winter?

-------------------------------------------------

Unrelated to that, in downloading some photos today, I came across some of me modelling my new Paramo Velez Adventure Light last weekend:

P4110029aIf you can overlook the large pile of walking boots behind me, the very tasteful zebra slippers on my feet and the huge whisky bottle next to me, and just concentrate on the jacket, what do you reckon to the length? Looking at that photo, I’m wavering back towards thinking that it’s too short.

2 comments:

  1. How much down is in that bag? I recall Geoff on about his: http://v-g.me.uk/blog/outdoor-gear/phd-minim-300/

    There light for sure. I reckon PHD should state the total down weight on there standard stock bags.

    Be interested to see how it performs out in the hills. I always dive into new sleeping bags. Great fun trying new kit out - enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new one is the Minim 500, with 500g of down. Before I bought the Minim 300 last year I called PHD to check that the number after the name of the bag did correlate to the weight of down in the bag, and they confirmed that it did (so, in the case of short bags like mine, it means that you get a warmer bag for your money).

    My Minim 300 (which I used for about 75 night last year) was absolutely fantastic, so I have high hopes for the 500. Just need a bit of suitably cold weather now (not to mention the wet weather I need for testing out the Paramo VAL!).

    ReplyDelete