The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday 4 April 2009

The Plan … The Reality

According to the plan we should be somewhere atop a hill right about now. Where I actually am is sitting on the sofa.

I can trace the root cause of the plan going awry. It was when yesterday morning I decreed that I would rather spend last night in our comfy bed rather than camping and that instead I was prepared to get up early this morning to make our planned outing into a daytrip.

By the time we retired last night our bags were packed and in sitting by the front door, ready for a quick get away this morning.

At 6am the alarm went off. There was a groan as I turned over and hit snooze. Then Mick complained that he hadn’t slept well and was too tired. “Shall we not go?” I mumbled in my sleepy state and turned the alarm off.

We awoke two and a half hours later, which had eaten too much into the day for a daytrip.

All is not lost. I am determined that we will be out walking tomorrow. To make sure of that, we’re back to the camping plan. We will set off within the next couple of hours and Wendy is coming with us. As an added bonus, we have time on our journey this afternoon to swing by a gear shop or two. Mick has his eye on an Osprey Exos and a Thermarest Neoair, so it would be nice if we could track those down.

No comments:

Post a Comment