The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Wednesday 6 May 2009

Rush, Rush, Rush

It is seldom that I have felt so incredibly disorganised as I have today. With Mick just back from America, and with me having to work, and with food to be sorted, parcels to be packaged and sent, kit to be organised and bags to be packed, we had a full day ahead of us.

I finally got around to packing about three hours before we had to leave the house, by which time the pressure was getting to me and Mick was taking the brunt of it.

Despite feeling like we were going to be rushing around until midnight, we were only a handful of minutes later than planned in getting away - and hopefully I won't get to Scotland to find out that I've omitted something critical, like my head or sleeping bag or the like.

In amongst this uncharacteristic disorganisation, I realised over the weekend that there were a few things that we needed/I wanted. Three orders were placed with fingers crossed that things posted yesterday would arrive today.

At just gone 1pm there was a crunching of gravel and Postie was no doubt bemused to have me fling the door open as look expectantly at him as he approached. My disappointed 'oh' as he handed over the post was a further giveaway that I was waiting for something in particular.

Once again Backpackinglight.co.uk had come up trumps and (along with the usual little bag of sweets) we had a new mapcase and a new Platty. Alas, another company based just 25 miles away didn't have such luck with Royal Mail. When I spoke to them this afternoon they assured me that my order had been mailed first class yesterday; they also confirmed that they were now out of stock of my size of the item I wanted so I didn't even have the option of sending Mick to pick it up. That put the cat amongst the pigeon of my clothing choice (still haven't quite decided what I'm doing about that).

The third package was a bit of a flier. There was always the chance that it wouldn't even be mailed first class, and it's hopefully no disaster that I don't have a memory card for my new phone.

Talking of my new phone, Mick did manage to get it unlocked today so I now have a choice of two different networks via which I can send my blog posts over the couple of weeks. So, all being well things won't go entirely quiet until we get back (although I do forwarn of lots of typos!).

1 comment:

  1. Same offer as made to others, quine. If you find something you miss, just drop me a line (mobile nr same as before), as I'll be out towards Braemar on the Friday night/Saturday if you tell me where abouts it can be dropped off.

    ReplyDelete