The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Monday 24 May 2010

Post Walk (2) – Numbers

I have finished re-plotting the route, incorporating the changes that we made on the ground. The result is that, per Anquet, we walked 979 miles from St Margaret’s to Cape Wrath (the reality was probably a little bit further – some of our lines were far more wiggly than plotted on the map!), and 994.5 miles if you count the walk out to Durness.

Taking 57 walking days over our adventure, that comes out at an average of just over 17 miles per day.

Ascent was somewhere around 135,000 feet, per Anquet.

The longest day was the last one, via Cape Wrath to Kervaig, which came in at 24.5 miles. (Seems that a few days were longer than I estimated at the time; from a psychological point of view, it was probably best for me to think, at the time, that they’re shorter than they were!)

On arriving home Mick had lost a stone, whereas I had lost 5lbs (which is what I lost in the first two weeks).

Mick lost a bit more weight (and a good few years) a few hours later when the beard came off.

IMG_1555a Skinny beardy bloke stands at the fog-horn at Cape Wrath

No comments:

Post a Comment