The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Monday 21 February 2011

East to West Route: Part 2

By the way, my splitting up of this route into parts is completely arbitrary. It’s simply as much as I can fit onto my screen without faffing around too much with overlaps.

image

Originally I had planned to head further up the Cleveland Way, to pick up the Coast to Coast route, but finally settled on taking the (approximate) route of the Lyke Wake Walk from Ravenscar. It has the advantage of being a route that we’ve not taken before, and also cuts 10 miles off the original plan. Otherwise, I don’t think that I changed too much on this chunk.

2 comments:

  1. I think you're just teasing us all! North Yorkshire Moors are prime walking terrain, the old Lyke Wake route is no longer the bog trot it once was. Can't help but notice that the route strays into the land of "the Prince Bishops", and of course the habitat of the "Northern Pies."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Humber Bridge, eh? I can remember standing on the southern end of that on a school trip to see it being built. Exciting stuff.

    ReplyDelete