The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Thursday 25 August 2011

East to West Photos: Day 11

30 March (0730-1415)
Distance: 15 miles (Tot: 196) (By Stenigot to By Market Rasen)
Weather: Cloudy start, light rain from 1315

This wasn’t the happiest day of the trip. My feet were in pieces and I’d had to concede that they were likely to stay that way unless I changed some element of my footwear (I changed both the shoes and the footbeds and had no problems for the rest of the trip). In the meantime, it was a painful 15 miles.

I wasn’t quite a glum as I look here; it’s just that Mick snapped me unawares whilst I was contemplating whatever it was that I was holding at the time. As for the pitch, it was in a dip on a farmers field and there had been some nervous minutes the previous evening when the farmer had twice driven across his field, apparently not noticing our tent (we hadn’t pitched until the sun was down and the light was dimming):

Day 9-1Lots and lots of photos of churches were taken over the duration of this walk. Mick made it his theme to not pass a church or chapel without snapping it. This is a poor snap, but an interesting building. If it hadn’t been for the sorely feet I would have taken a wander over for a closer look.

Day 9-2

And, by way of a different type of graveyard, we found the place where local old Citroens go to die…

Day 9-3

The original blog post for the day can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment