The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Friday 7 November 2014

GT Day 12: A Perth Pimple

Friday 7 November 2014

Setting out before full daylight this morning, I had a plan of driving a little way down the road and (even though it was raining) taking a quick stroll up Cruban Beag (from the more sensible side). Ten minutes later, I caught sight of my hill and saw that it was covered in cloud. I did a quick sum in my head:

Rain + Low Cloud = Not a Chance!

So, I sailed past the turn I would have taken, and a few minutes later realised that I had been looking at the wrong hill, when the right hill hove into view and was completely free of cloud. Being now on a dual carriageway, I didn’t turn back, but decided to find somewhere else to walk further south. I’m so glad I didn’t go back, because instead I had a lovely time on a little pimple in Perth, by the name of Kinnoull Hill.

It’s not even 750’ high, but the glory of a pimple is that it stands proud relative to its surroundings and thus gives excellent views. With the weather being decidedly on the brightening side by now, I revelled in those views. I even grinned out loud at the joy of it. Or to put that another way, I had a jolly good hour and a half wandering through woodland and drinking in views. Here is a selection of the snaps I took to illustrate the outing (note that I had to re-ascend for the summit photo, as I got a couple of minutes into my descent before I remembered that I’d forgotten to take a snap at the top):

IMG_7774

It doesn’t stand out too well in this snap, but that’s a ruined tower sanding at the top of the crag. Admittedly, it’s a shame about the presence of the A90, more for its noise than its appearance.

IMG_7782

Poser!

IMG_7783

I had to look twice when I first spotted this, it looked so realistic.

IMG_7784

Fortunately, nobody has been and painted a target on it!

IMG_7786

 This one was a real, and he posed nicely for me.

I had such a good time on this little hill that I completely lost track of time, which was compounded by an aberration as to how long it would take me to get from Perth to Moffat, where Mick was due to arrive at 3pm. As I was bringing the accommodation, and as he had made the effort to escape work earlier than is his norm, it was particularly important for me to arrive before him. I drove faster than I usually do and did indeed beat him … by 90 seconds. Considering how far we’d both come from opposite directions, that was incredibly closely timed!

3 comments:

  1. I hope you didn't have to thrash Colin too hard for your J.IT. meet up with Mick. Still, better J.I.T. than J.T.L!
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin was far from thrashed, but I may have hit 65mph on occasion!

      Delete
  2. I was going to say, "I've been there!", but in actual fact, it may have been Moncreiff Hill I've been. Not sure now!

    ReplyDelete