The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Monday 10 November 2014

GT Day 15 (Holding Post): White Coomb & Co

I will write a proper account of today when I have more battery and a better signal, but for now, here are a few stats:

Number of tops (wot appear on lists) visited: 5

Number of miles walked: 10

Number of hours taken: 5 (plus lunch)

Number of summits where the cloud cleared to give a view in at least one direction: 2

Number of summits with less than 50 yards of visibility in all directions: 2

Number of feet of ascent: I was just counting contours when the police pulled up next to me, in my night-stop location, to ask me what I was doing*, and I lost count! 2500’ ish??

Number of slips: 11

Number of trips: 0

Number of falls: 0

Number of people encountered: 0 (1 person seen at a distance)

 

(*I didn’t answer “Well, I was counting contours until you distracted me!”)

1 comment:

  1. savonarola de nos jours10 November 2014 at 22:30

    a.s. was aiming for a full police state, the people said no - but the single force they now are still act as if they hadn't, my spies tell me.
    over the border, northumbria police used to have the slogan (can you believe - it was on posters all over Newcastle) 'our policy is total policing' but after they were shown up to be pretty incompetent over several important issues, this was silently sidelined.
    what is going on up there - you don't have to be paranoid to think they're coming to get you: even if you stay up in the mist and fog, the heat-seeking goggles will still find you.

    ReplyDelete