The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 2 November 2014

It’s a Sign! (#2)

A post for Conrad, with whom I was talking about signs earlier in the week:

IMG_3803

A sense of humour from the Canal and River Trust (ex-British Waterways)

IMG_6147

I’d love to know the background to this one

IMG_6148

This sign is a lie! I watched that tree for quite a while yet it didn’t move.

IMG_6152

Apparently, important cattle can read, whereas ordinary cattle can’t.

IMG_6153

Nowt remarkable about this one really. I just liked the distinction of being a ‘Piscatorial’ society.

IMG_6190

Not a friendly welcome (I do hope it’s legible in this small size)

IMG_6196

The mind boggles as to what people were doing to the heron and who felt moved to create a sign to discourage it. (I’ve passed this sign twice now; never seen a heron there.)

IMG_6205

Context for the next one

IMG_6206

Made me wonder the history and who still has the rights to which the sign refers.

IMG_6236

Anyone who has ever struggled with trying to work out the line of a footpath through a farmyard will understand why I really liked the clarity here.

IMG_6320

A bit more novel than the ‘free range children’ sign.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for those. You've got sharper eyes than me if these were collected in a short time. Perhaps we should do a swap of our respective sign files.

    I'm not sure what to do with them - thought I might do a Lulu self publish book with added comments similar to your captions here, but then the book would not be suitable for adding to as more are collected. Maybe just create an online book and put it on Dropbox, but then I wouldn't want somebody pniching them and making some kind of capital out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good collection. There are some belters about.

    ReplyDelete